Family Research

Are you trying to trace a family relative or close friend who served in the Durham Light Infantry or British Armed Forces?

The following useful information and organisational links have been provided for your reference, it is recommended that you contact your chosen organisation by either writing to them or contacting them through the use of email.

The National Archives

The National Archives has a huge collection of records dealing with Britain's military history. Whatever period you are studying, whether you are looking for an individual serviceman or womans record or documents that reveal strategy, equipment and the experience of those that fought.

Officers or Soldiers whose regular or reserve service ended before 1921

The National Archives
Tel: +44 (0) 20 8876 3444

Officers or Soldiers whose regular or reserve service ended after 1921

Army Personnel Centre
Historical Disclosures
Mail Point 555
Kentigern House
65 Brown Street
G2 8EX


The Army Personnel Centre

The Army Personnel Centre can assist in tracing soldiers either still serving or those who have discharged in the last 5 to 6 years (or later if they are still on the Army Reserve List). The Army Personnel Centre cannot undertake to divulge the current location and/or the address of individuals, but will undertake to forward a letter where an individual can be positively identified.

Army Personnel Centre
Disclosure 1
MailPoint 520
Kintigern House
65 Brown Street
G2 8EX
Telephone: +44 (0) 845 600 9663
Website: Army Personnel Welfare Centre


Army Medal Office (AMO)

The Army Medals Office handles the issue and replacement of medals. For WW2 medals, which have never been claimed, it will be necessary to first obtain an official record of service from the Army Personnel Centre before applying. For replacement medals, proof of loss (i.e. police report or insurance claim) is essential and claimants may be required to pay the full cost of replacements

Army Medal Office
Armed Forces Personnel Administration Agency
The Army Medal Office
Building 250
RAF Innsworth
JPAC Enquiry Centre:
Telephone: 0141 224 3600
Veterans Freephone: 0800 085 3600
Website: The Medals Office


Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC)

The CWGC provides information on the location of graves and official memorials around the world. The CWGC are able to answer straight forward enquiries over the telephone. Alternatively, the CWGC Register is now available continuously over the Internet.

Commonwealth War Graves Commission
2 Marlow Road
SL6 7DX.
United Kingdom
Telephone: +44 (0) 1628 507200


Local County Archives

The County Archives Office is generally located at County Hall or Town Hall. It usually holds details of parish registers - births, marriages and deaths - census returns, electoral registers, street directories etc. for the county concerned. The 'absent voters' lists' for 1918 and 1919 are helpful records to find out the regiment and personal number of a soldier who survived WW1 before initiating a search at the Army Personnel Centre. Contact your local County Hall/Town Hall or library to ascertain the location of these archives.

An online catalogue of The Durham Light Infantry collection, is available on the website of the Durham Records Office


Additional Information

Below are other links to online research material we think you may find useful.

Back to TOP